The Caesaraugusta Tradition and the Bilocation of 40 AD
Pious tradition within Hispanic Christianity recounts that on 2 January 40 AD, Mary appeared to the Apostle Saint James the Greater on the banks of the Ebro River in the Roman colony of Caesaraugusta (modern Zaragoza). At the time of this apparition, Mary was still living in Jerusalem. The event is consequently classified in Catholic theology not as a post-mortem apparition, but as an instance of bilocation in carne mortal (in mortal flesh) to comfort the Apostle amid the difficulties of his early missionary efforts in the Iberian Peninsula. According to this account, Mary left a jasper column as a permanent token of her presence and instructed James to erect a chapel around it.
The Catholic Church incorporates this arrival into its liturgical calendar, officially sanctioned on 7 August 1723 when the Sacred Congregation of Rites under Pope Innocent XIII approved the proper Office and Mass for the feast on 12 October. Nevertheless, modern historiography and documentary critique differentiate between religious tradition and verifiable records. The earliest extant manuscript records corroborating the Pillar tradition in the cathedral archives date to the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries, leaving a significant gap between the purported first-century events and contemporary written documentation.
The Jasper Column and the Late Gothic Sculpture
At the physical and devotional centre of the sanctuary stands the Santa Columna, a smooth shaft of jasper measuring 1.77 metres in height and 24 centimetres in diameter. The column remains fixed upon its traditional site and is sheathed in an engraved silver and bronze casing. According to devotional regulations outlined by the Cabildo Metropolitano de Zaragoza, the column is presented uncovered without its fabric mantle on only three days each month: the 2nd (commemorating the apparition), the 12th (the liturgical feast), and the 20th (commemorating the canonical coronation).
Surmounting this jasper pillar is the titular image of our lady of the pillar, a gilded and polychrome wood carving measuring 36 centimetres in height. Art-historical analysis led by scholar María del Carmen Lacarra Ducay dates the sculpture to circa 1435, attributing its manufacture on stylistic grounds to the Daroca-born sculptor Juan de la Huerta. The work was created following a destructive fire that compromised the earlier medieval altarpiece. The figure depicts Mary holding the infant Christ on her left arm while gathering the folds of a late Gothic mantle, displaying Burgundy-influenced drapery characteristic of early fifteenth-century Aragonese sculpture.
Medieval Reconstructions from Alfonso I to the Gothic Collegiate Church
Following the Christian conquest of Zaragoza in 1118 by King Alfonso I the Battler, Bishop Pedro de Librana recovered and restored the existing Mozarabic church of Santa María la Mayor. This Romanesque structure served the local community until structural decay and fires prompted a comprehensive rebuilding programme during the late thirteenth century. Between 1293 and 1296, Bishop Hugo de Mataplana initiated the transition of the site into a larger Gothic-Mudéjar collegiate church, a project supported by a papal bull issued by Pope Boniface VIII.
The late medieval fabric accommodated expanding numbers of regional pilgrims who travelled to venerate the sacred column. By the early sixteenth century, the interior of the collegiate church was enriched by monumental Renaissance commissions, most notably the high altarpiece carved in alabaster by Damián Forment between 1509 and 1515, which remains one of the seminal sculptural achievements of the Aragonese Renaissance.
The Calanda Investigation and Institutional Recognition in the Seventeenth Century
Devotional focus on the sanctuary intensified during the seventeenth century following an event in the Aragonese village of Calanda. On 29 March 1640, a young peasant named Miguel Juan Pellicer reported the miraculous restitution of his right leg, which had been surgically amputated over two years prior at the Hospital de Gracia in Zaragoza. Pellicer had maintained a continuous devotion to our lady of the pillar throughout his convalescence.
The Archbishop of Zaragoza, Pedro de Apaolaza Ramírez, instituted a canonical trial to examine the event. Between 1640 and 1641, the tribunal interrogated twenty-five eyewitnesses under oath, including the attending surgeons and hospital staff who performed the original amputation. On 27 April 1641, Archbishop Apaolaza promulgated a formal sentence declaring the restitution to be an authentic miracle. This canonical verdict prompted civic and regional declarations: on 20 May 1642, the municipal council of Zaragoza declared Mary under this title to be the sole patroness of the city, followed in 1678 by the Cortes of the Kingdom of Aragon, which proclaimed her patroness of the entire realm.
The Dual Cathedral System and the 1681 Baroque Basilica
Zaragoza maintains an unusual ecclesiastical governance structure comprising two active metropolitan cathedrals: the older cathedral of San Salvador (La Seo) and the Cathedral-Basilica of El Pilar. In 1676, Pope Clement X issued the Bull of Union, which formally merged the chapters of both churches into a single Metropolitan Chapter, elevating the Pillar sanctuary to co-cathedral rank.
Following this unification, the chapter resolved to construct a monumental classical Baroque basilica capable of enclosing the growing pilgrimage complex. Construction commenced in 1681 under designs prepared by architect Felipe Sánchez and painter-architect Francisco de Herrera the Younger. The plan established a vast rectangular hall church featuring three wide naves and surrounding chapels, organized around the sacred column while leaving the existing Renaissance altarpiece intact.
Ventura Rodríguez and the Design of the Santa Capilla (1750–1765)
The interior spatial arrangement of the basilica was resolved in the mid-eighteenth century when the architect Ventura Rodríguez was commissioned to design a dedicated pavilion for the veneration of the column. Between 1750 and 1754, Rodríguez devised the Santa Capilla as an independent, free-standing temple-within-a-temple. His design respected the immovable position of the jasper column while providing a classical Baroque setting composed of jasper, bronze, and polished marbles.
Executed structurally between 1750 and 1765 under the direction of sculptor and architect José Ramírez de Arellano, the Santa Capilla utilizes an elliptical ground plan surmounted by an open cupola with complex curved pediments. The interior groups multiple sculptural ensembles: Saint James and the seven converts, the arrival of Mary, and the separate niche housing the historic wooden figure of our lady of the pillar atop her column. This configuration isolated the devotional core from the broader circulation of the cathedral, resolving the practical demands of incoming pilgrimage flows.
Francisco de Goya’s Early Frescoes: The Coreto Vault of 1772
Following his return from an educational journey to Italy, the young Aragonese painter Francisco de Goya secured his first major public commission at the basilica in 1771. The Metropolitan Chapter invited Goya to submit sketches for the vault of the small choir, or Coreto, located directly opposite the Santa Capilla. After evaluating his initial oil model, the chapter approved the execution of the work in 1772.
The resulting mural, documented in the Fundación Goya en Aragón catalogue, depicts The Adoration of the Name of God by the Angels (La Adoración del Nombre de Dios por los Ángeles). Executed strictly in traditional buon fresco, the composition centres upon the luminous Hebrew tetragrammaton enclosed within a triangle, surrounded by choirs of angels singing and playing musical instruments across illusionistic clouds. Goya applied late Italianate Baroque composition paired with proto-Neoclassical clarity of colour, demonstrating technical mastery of monumental fresco painting at the age of twenty-six.
The Regina Martyrum Dome and Goya’s Chapter Disputes (1780–1781)
Eight years after completing the Coreto vault, Goya returned to the basilica in 1780 to paint the monumental cupola of the Regina Martyrum and its four supporting pendentives in the north aisle, adjacent to the Santa Capilla. The commission, arranged through the mediation of his brother-in-law Francisco Bayeu, represented a much larger decorative task. Goya completed the main dome and the pendentives—representing Christian virtues: Faith, Fortitude, Charity, and Patience—between 1780 and 1781.
The execution of the Regina Martyrum dome provoked severe friction with the cathedral chapter and with Bayeu himself. Goya utilized a rapid, direct brushwork technique with visible impasto and reduced detail, designed to be read optically from the cathedral floor. The cathedral building committee, accustomed to the smooth academic finish favoured by Bayeu, criticized the pendentives as deficient and demanded corrections. Goya resented this interference, defending the visual autonomy and theatrical distance of his work, though he ultimately agreed to minor modifications to secure formal sign-off before departing for Madrid.
Twentieth-Century Events: The 1936 Munitions Incident and Papal Visits
On 20 May 1905, the image received a formal canonical coronation granted by the Holy See under Pope Saint Pius X. Later in the century, amidst the Spanish Civil War, the sanctuary was the site of an event that entered local religious lore. On 3 August 1936, an aircraft dropped four aerial bombs directly upon the basilica and its surrounding pavement. None of the four ordnance pieces exploded; two struck the vaults of the church, piercing the ceiling without detonating, while others landed outside.
Devotional accounts attributed the failure of the bombs to Mary's direct protection, while technical analyses by military historians focused on low-altitude release physics and faulty fuze mechanisms. Two of the deactivated bomb casings remain mounted on interior pillars as physical artefacts of the event. In subsequent decades, the status of the complex was further confirmed: Pope Pius XII elevated the cathedral to the rank of Minor Basilica on 24 June 1948, and on 10 October 1984, Pope John Paul II visited the shrine during his pastoral journey to Spain, leading prayers before the Santa Columna.
Devotional Practice and Iconography of Our Lady of the Pillar
The liturgical and cultural cult of our lady of the pillar remains rooted in the specific material tradition of its setting. Unlike Marian images carried in processions through urban streets, the fifteenth-century carving remains stationary atop the jasper shaft within Ventura Rodríguez’s Santa Capilla, visible from both within the chapel and through an opening facing the ambulatory where visitors approach to kiss the exposed section of the jasper column.
Pilgrimage customs maintain distinct liturgical rhythms. The collection of ceremonial mantles offered by institutions, guilds, and international bodies exceeds several hundred specimens, each designed according to precise dimensions to drape the column while allowing the wooden sculpture to emerge above. Through these uninterrupted material and artistic layers—from the late medieval carving to Enlightenment architecture and modern canonical recognitions—the shrine at Zaragoza endures as a notable intersection of early ecclesiastical tradition and Spanish religious art.
Sources and further reading
- Cabildo Metropolitano de Zaragoza – La Imagen de la Virgen. Documentation regarding the dimensions, fifteenth-century late Gothic origin, and liturgical exposure schedule of the titular sculpture.
- Cabildo Metropolitano de Zaragoza – La Santa Capilla. Architectural record of the eighteenth-century chapel designed by Ventura Rodríguez and executed by José Ramírez de Arellano.
- Cabildo Metropolitano de Zaragoza – El Templo del Pilar. Institutional history detailing the 1676 Bull of Union and the architectural phases of the seventeenth-century Baroque basilica.
- Cabildo Metropolitano de Zaragoza – El Pilar - Santo Templo Metropolitano. General historical synthesis covering canonical coronations, pontifical decrees, and papal visits.
- Fundación Goya en Aragón – Adoración del nombre de Dios por los ángeles. Academic catalogue entry analyzing Goya’s 1772 fresco in the Coreto of the Virgin.
- Fundación Goya en Aragón – Regina Martyrum. Critical analysis of Goya’s 1780–1781 dome and pendentive frescoes, including the historical disputes with the cathedral chapter.
- Real Academia de la Historia – Biografía de Ventura Rodríguez Tizón. Biographical entry on the neoclassical architect responsible for the 1750 Santa Capilla project.
- Real Academia de la Historia – Biografía de Juan de la Huerta. Scholarly record on the fifteenth-century sculptor to whom the titular Gothic wooden carving is attributed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the bilocation tradition associated with Our Lady of the Pillar?
Catholic tradition holds that Mary appeared in mortal flesh to the Apostle Saint James in Caesaraugusta in 40 AD before her Assumption, leaving a jasper column to encourage his missionary work in Hispania.
Who created the current wooden statue of Our Lady of the Pillar?
Art historians attribute the 36-centimetre late Gothic polychrome wood carving to Daroca sculptor Juan de la Huerta around 1435, produced after an earlier altarpiece was lost to fire.
What architectural role did Ventura Rodríguez play in the basilica?
Between 1750 and 1754, Ventura Rodríguez designed the Santa Capilla, an autonomous elliptical Baroque-Neoclassical pavilion built inside the basilica around the immovable jasper column.
Which frescoes did Francisco de Goya paint in the Basilica of the Pillar?
Goya executed the Coreto choir vault painting, The Adoration of the Name of God, in 1772, and returned in 1780–1781 to paint the monumental Regina Martyrum dome and its four virtued pendentives.
What was the Miracle of Calanda and how was it verified?
In 1640, peasant Miguel Juan Pellicer reported the restoration of his amputated leg. Following a canonical trial examining twenty-five witnesses, Archbishop Pedro de Apaolaza declared it an authentic miracle in 1641.
On which days is the sculpture presented without its fabric mantle?
By tradition of the Metropolitan Chapter, the image is displayed without a mantle on the 2nd, 12th, and 20th of each month, exposing the engraved silver sheath of the jasper pillar.