The Cretan Origins and Byzantine Iconography of the Passion Icon
Dating to the late fourteenth or fifteenth century, between approximately 1325 and 1480, the original panel known under the title of our lady of perpetual help was produced on a walnut board measuring 54 by 41.5 centimetres within the vibrant artistic sphere of the Cretan School. Historically categorised under the Byzantine typology of the Amòlyntos, or the Virgin of the Passion, the painting synthesises strict Eastern iconographic conventions with early Mediterranean devotional currents. The composition depicts the Theotokos supporting the Christ Child, who gazes upwards towards two archangels presenting the instruments of the Crucifixion.
To the left, the Archangel Michael carries the lance and the sponge soaked in vinegar; to the right, the Archangel Gabriel holds the Greek cross and the four nails. The theological programme of the image centres upon the divine foreknowledge of redemption and the human vulnerability of the incarnate Christ. The Child clutches His Mother’s right hand with both of His own, an emotional and physical gesture reinforced by the detail of His loose right sandal, which dangles by a single strap to expose the sole of His foot. Historical scholarship associated with the Diocèse de Paris has noted the parallel development of these Strastnaya compositions across Western and Eastern Christendom, where the golden ground signifies the uncreated light of eternity whilst the figures mediate human suffering.
The Transfer to San Matteo in Merulana and the Early Roman Cult
The documented history of the image in Rome begins at the close of the fifteenth century. According to early manuscript accounts once preserved at the Augustinian convent of San Matteo in Merulana, a Cretan merchant brought the panel to Rome, where it remained briefly in private hands before its formal public reception. On 27 March 1499, the icon was solemnly processed and enthroned on the high altar of the church of San Matteo in Merulana, an ancient ecclesiastical complex situated along the processional route between the basilicas of Saint John Lateran and Saint Mary Major.
The liturgical veneration of the panel was sustained by the Order of Hermits of Saint Augustine for three centuries. By 1579, epigraphic evidence placed above the main portal of San Matteo formally recorded the dedication with the Latin phrase Deiparae Virgini Mariae succursus perpetui, establishing the official Latin title of the devotion. Architectural and archaeological documentation analysed by the Universität Zürich confirms that throughout the sixteenth, seventeenth, and eighteenth centuries, San Matteo functioned as a prominent urban shrine for the faithful seeking Mary’s intercession during epidemics, civic crises, and private distress.
The Napoleonic Displacement and the Cloistered Decades
In February 1798, French revolutionary forces occupying Rome ordered the structural demolition of the church of San Matteo in Merulana, alongside numerous other ecclesiastical buildings in the area. Before the destruction of the high altar, the Augustinian friars successfully evacuated the venerated panel, moving it initially to the nearby monastery of Sant'Eusebio. The violent urban realignment severed the icon from its historic physical setting and interrupted its centuries-old public veneration.
In 1819, the Irish Augustinians, who had assumed responsibility for the community's assets, transferred the icon to their private oratory in the convent of Santa Maria in Posterula, situated near the banks of the Tiber. Placed on an internal altar without exterior signs or public access, the image remained withdrawn from the general faithful for over four decades. During this extended period, knowledge of the ancient Marian painting of San Matteo was preserved primarily through institutional memory and the oral testimony of older religious who had witnessed its earlier Roman cultus.
The Redemptorist Discovery and the Papal Mandate of 1865
In 1855, the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists) acquired the estate of Villa Caserta on the Via Merulana to construct their generalate and the neo-Gothic church of Sant'Alfonso, initially unaware that the newly acquired land coincided precisely with the footprint of the demolished San Matteo. The historical convergence came to light following a sermon delivered on 7 February 1863 at the Church of the Gesù by the Jesuit preacher Francesco Blosi, who lamented the loss of the historic image of San Matteo.
Father Michele Marchi, a Redemptorist priest who had served as an altar boy at Santa Maria in Posterula and had frequently observed the panel in the private chapel, identified the missing image. The Superior General of the Redemptorists, Father Nicolás Mauron, petitioned the Holy See for the restitution of the panel to its original site on Via Merulana. On 11 December 1865, Pope Pius IX formally granted custody of the icon of our lady of perpetual help to the Redemptorists, charging the congregation with the oral directive to make the image and its theological message known throughout the universal Church.
The 1866 Re-enthronement and the Canonical Coronation
Following a preliminary cleaning and restoration by the Polish artist Leopold Nowotny, the icon was carried in a solemn civic procession on 26 April 1866 and reinstated above the high altar of the newly completed church of Sant'Alfonso all'Esquilino. The return of the panel marked the revival of the public cultus in Rome, drawing pilgrims from across the region to the historic site on Via Merulana.
On 23 June 1867, the Vatican Chapter executed the formal Canonical Coronation of the icon. Monsignor Ruggero Luigi Emidio Antici Mattei, the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople, presided over the liturgical rite, affixing golden crowns to the heads of the Virgin and the Christ Child. In the liturgical calendar of the Roman Rite, the annual feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help was established on 27 June, establishing a fixed point for annual observances within parishes and missionary stations maintained by the Redemptorist Fathers.
Scientific Examination and Conservation at the Vatican Museums
Between 1990 and 1992, the panel underwent an exhaustive technical study and structural conservation at the Restorations Laboratories of the Vatican Museums, led by chief conservator Maurizio De Luca. The primary objective was to stabilise the walnut support, consolidate flaking paint layers, and remove heavily oxidised varnishes and overpainting accumulated during previous centuries.
The conservation programme employed non-destructive diagnostic techniques, including X-ray fluorescence, infrared reflectography, and micro-chemical pigment analysis. The findings confirmed the organic integrity of the fourteenth-to-fifteenth-century Cretan wooden support and revealed the refined egg tempera technique characteristic of late Byzantine ateliers. Historical studies published in Spicilegium Historicum 64 (2016) by scholars of the Istituto Storico dei Redentoristi document that the structural stabilisation succeeded in preserving the original gilding and tempera layers whilst confirming that the artistic execution adhered to the stylistic traditions of the school surrounding Andreas Ritzos.
The Emergence of the Weekly Perpetual Novena in North America
While the propagation of the icon occurred primarily through missionary preaching and lithographic reproductions in the late nineteenth century, the twentieth century witnessed a structural transformation in its communal practice. In 1927, at the Redemptorist church of Saint Alphonsus (the "Rock" Church) in Saint Louis, Missouri, Father Charles Kuhn initiated the liturgical format of the weekly "Perpetual Novena".
Departing from the traditional nine-day consecutive period preceding a liturgical solemnity, the Perpetual Novena was designed as an ongoing, weekly cycle of prayers held every Wednesday. The service integrated communal petitions, formal acts of thanksgiving, hymnody, the public reading of submitted intentions, and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. The format proved exceptionally popular, providing an accessible devotional rhythm for urban populations navigating the economic disruptions of the Great Depression and the social anxieties of the interwar period, and it quickly spread across Redemptorist parishes throughout the United States and Canada.
The Shrine of Baclaran: Mass Devotion in the Philippines
The weekly novena found its most massive institutional expression in the Philippines. Introduced by Irish and Australian Redemptorist missionaries in the late 1940s, the practice was formally established at the National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Baclaran, Parañaque (Metro Manila). By the mid-twentieth century, Wednesday at Baclaran had become a national social and religious phenomenon, drawing tens of thousands of devotees to multiple consecutive services running from dawn until night.
The physical structure of the Baclaran church was deliberately expanded into a massive modern basilica to accommodate the continuous flow of pilgrims. Devotees from diverse socio-economic backgrounds present written petitions for physical healing, overseas employment, familial reconciliation, and moral guidance. The Baclaran phenomenon established a liturgical model where traditional Marian piety functioned alongside institutional social outreach, as the Redemptorist community integrated legal assistance, medical aid, and disaster relief programmes within the perimeter of the shrine.
Pastoral Diffusion across Europe, Africa, and Latin America
The institutionalisation of the weekly novena extended beyond North America and Southeast Asia into Western and Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Sub-Saharan Africa. In post-war Europe, diocesan parishes and Redemptorist centres in Ireland, Great Britain, Spain, and Poland established Wednesday novena devotions, offering structural consistency during periods of cultural and demographic transition.
In Africa, the devotion to our lady of perpetual help expanded rapidly across missions in Nigeria, Ghana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and South Africa. Parishes adopted the weekly novena as a framework for community solidarity, where the public recitation of intentions allowed local congregations to articulate shared suffering, poverty, illness, and bereavement within a communal liturgical space. The portable nature of the icon’s reproductions permitted domestic altars to reflect the centralised shrine rituals, reinforcing a unified devotional identity across divergent linguistic regions.
Theological Dimension: Mary as Advocate for the Suffering and Destitute
The pastoral longevity of the devotion rests upon a precise Mariological framework. In the theological tradition of Saint Alphonsus Liguori and Redemptorist spirituality, the maternal mediation of Mary is viewed not as an autonomous power, but as an immediate, compassionate participation in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ. The title Perpetual Help expresses the conviction of Mary’s ceaseless advocacy on behalf of the most vulnerable and spiritually endangered souls.
The iconographic details directly support this theological understanding. The Virgin does not gaze directly at her Son or the instruments of the Passion; her direct, solemn gaze is directed outward towards the viewer. In this visual theology, she presents Christ to the world while holding the trembling hands of the Child, signifying to the believer that the mother who comforted the Redeemer in the face of suffering remains perpetually attentive to the trials of the human condition. The loose sandal of the Child Jesus, interpreted in popular theology as the result of His flight to maternal protection, functions as a tangible symbol of human fragility being embraced by divine grace.
Art Historical Debates and the Limits of Documented Evidence
Critical art history and archival analysis maintain distinct boundaries regarding the historical narrative surrounding the icon. While popular traditions from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries spoke of the panel having been painted by Saint Luke the Evangelist, modern art history firmly dismisses this claim as a late hagiographical trope common to Byzantine images in Italy.
Similarly, the specific attribution of the panel to the hand of the celebrated Cretan master Andreas Ritzos (1421–1492) remains an academic hypothesis. While the composition, pigment layering, and calligraphic handling of the gold ground align with the high standards of Ritzos’s fifteenth-century workshop in Candia, the panel lacks a signature or contemporary fiscal documentation, requiring it to be classified scientifically as an anonymous masterpiece of the Cretan School. Furthermore, the early narrative of the merchant stealing the panel from Crete and the visions directing its placement at San Matteo derive from a single parchment document compiled long after the presumed events, representing foundational pious tradition rather than rigorously verifiable administrative records.
Sources and further reading
- Diocèse de Paris. Dossier Patrimoine: Notre-Dame du Perpétuel Secours et l'art des icônes. Notre-Dame de Paris. Available at: https://www.notredamedeparis.fr
- Istituto Storico dei Redentoristi. Spicilegium Historicum 64 (2016): 150° dell'affidamento della sacra icona della Madonna del Perpetuo Soccorso. Roma. Available at: https://www.santalfonsoedintorni.it/spicilegium-historicum-64-2016.html
- Universität Zürich, Kunsthistorisches Institut. Chiese scomparse di Roma: San Matteo in Merulana e le sue iscrizioni. Available at: https://www.uzh.ch
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the artistic origin and date of the original icon?
The icon is a tempera painting on a walnut panel measuring 54 by 41.5 cm, produced by an anonymous master of the Cretan School between approximately 1325 and 1480. It represents the Byzantine Virgin of the Passion (Amòlyntos) typology.
Where is the original icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help located today?
The original panel is permanently enthroned above the high altar of the neo-Gothic Church of Sant'Alfonso de Liguori all'Esquilino, situated on the Via Merulana in Rome, under the custody of the Redemptorist Fathers.
How did the weekly Perpetual Novena devotion originate?
The specific liturgical format of the weekly Perpetual Novena began in 1927 at the Redemptorist Church of Saint Alphonsus in Saint Louis, Missouri, establishing an ongoing Wednesday cycle of petitions and communal prayer that quickly spread internationally.
Why is the shrine of Baclaran in the Philippines significant to this devotion?
Established in the late 1940s by Redemptorist missionaries, the National Shrine in Baclaran, Manila, became the largest centre of the devotion globally, drawing tens of thousands of worshippers every Wednesday to continuous novena services and social outreach programmes.
What do the instruments and the falling sandal signify in the iconography?
The archangels Michael and Gabriel present the instruments of the Crucifixion, prefiguring Christ's redemptive sacrifice. The falling right sandal illustrates the Child's human vulnerability as He hastens to His Mother, whilst symbolising biblical redemption and divine protection.
Which religious order is the official custodian of the icon?
The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorist Missionaries) has been the canonical custodian of the icon since 11 December 1865, following a formal decree and oral mandate issued by Pope Pius IX.