Our Lady of Bonaria: Maritime Lore, the Order of Mercy, and Papal Recognition in Cagliari

Xilografía histórica que muestra la vista panorámica del convento e iglesia de Bonaria en Cagliari.

The 1324 Aragonese Encampment on the Bonaria Hill

In the spring of 1324, the military forces of the Crown of Aragon, commanded by the Infante Alfonso, initiated the siege of Castel di Castro, the fortified citadel of Cagliari then held by the Republic of Pisa. To establish a secure operational base outside the range of Pisan artillery, the Aragonese army occupied a limestone hill overlooking the bay, known in local records as Colle di Bonaria. The Aragonese erected a fortified settlement and a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity and the Virgin Mary, securing their administrative centre as documented by the Comune di Cagliari.

Toponymic research indicates that the designation Buen Ayre (good air or fair wind) was initially chosen by the Aragonese administration to reflect the healthy, ventilated position of the hill, which stood clear of the malarial mists affecting the surrounding low-lying coastal marshes. The encampment became the embryonic seat of Aragonese rule in Sardinia between 1324 and 1326, laying the institutional framework for the religious structures that followed the expulsion of Pisan authority.

Custody Granted to the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy in 1335

Following the consolidation of Aragonese authority over southern Sardinia, King Alfonso IV of Aragon ceded the church and adjacent conventual quarters on the hill to the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy in 1335. The Mercedarian friars, under the leadership of Brother Carlo Catalano, took formal possession of the sanctuary, establishing a permanent pastoral presence that remains unbroken to the present day.

The Mercedarians, whose religious institute had been founded in Catalonia to ransom Christian captives taken in the Mediterranean basin, integrated the site into their maritime and pastoral networks. This fourteenth-century custodial grant established the institutional foundation for what would develop into the primary devotional centre of our lady of bonaria, aligning the sanctuary’s identity with seafaring communities, coastal travellers, and maritime routes linking Iberia, the Balearic Islands, and the Italian peninsula.

The Devotional Tradition of the 1370 Washed-Ashore Crate

The central hagiographical tradition concerning the shrine dates to 25 March 1370. According to the devotional account preserved by the Mercedarian community, a merchant vessel caught in a violent tempest off the southern coast of Sardinia jettisoned its cargo into the sea to avert shipwreck. Among the discarded goods was a heavy, unmarked wooden crate that drifted towards the shoreline directly beneath the hill of Bonaria.

Devotional narratives, documented through the archives of the Padri Mercedari del Santuario di Bonaria, record that local townspeople attempted to retrieve the crate from the surf without success due to its unexpected weight, whereas the Mercedarian friars were able to beach it and open the seals. Inside, they uncovered a life-sized polychrome wooden statue of the Virgin and Child, accompanied by a lit candle. Historical scholarship treats this arrival narrative as part of the Mediterranean religious folklore of spontaneously arrived images (acheropita or providential maritime discoveries), as there are no contemporary fourteenth-century civil notarial documents recording the event.

Iconographic Analysis of the Polychrome Carob-Wood Sculpture

The image venerated as our lady of bonaria is a freestanding polychrome sculpture carved from carob wood. The Virgin Mary is represented standing, holding the Christ Child on her left arm, while her right hand supports a small caravel—a later maritime addition reflecting her role as protectress of navigators—and a candle holder. The figures exhibit the dignified, frontal postures and draped garments typical of late medieval Mediterranean religious sculpture.

Art historians continue to debate the precise chronological origin and workshop provenance of the piece. While pious tradition anchors its arrival firmly in 1370, material and stylistic analyses suggest affinities with late fourteenth-century or early-to-mid fifteenth-century workshops operating across the Crown of Aragon or the Campanian-Iberian littoral. The anonymity of the master sculptor aligns with standard guild practices of the period, precluding definitive attribution to a named artist.

The Transatlantic Toponymic Diffusion to the Río de la Plata in 1536

The expansion of Iberian maritime exploration across the Atlantic Ocean during the early modern era carried the devotion of the Cagliari sanctuary to the Americas. When the Spanish adelantado Pedro de Mendoza led an expedition to the estuary of the Río de la Plata, he founded a port settlement on 2 February 1536 under the formal title of Santa María del Buen Ayre. Mendoza had placed his fleet under the patronage of the Virgin venerated by the Mercedarians and Andalusian sailors, many of whom maintained strong devotional ties to the Sardinian shrine.

As recorded in the historical entries of the Treccani Italian Encyclopaedia, this founding invocation provided the etymological root for the present-day capital of Argentina, Buenos Aires. Although the original settlement faced abandonment and subsequent refoundation, the toponym retained its historical and religious connection to the Marian invocation established in fourteenth-century Cagliari.

Eighteenth-Century Architectural Expansion: From Catalan Gothic to Neoclassical Basilica

The original fourteenth-century shrine, characterised by Catalan-Gothic architectural features such as ribbed cross-vaults and narrow side chapels, gradually proved insufficient for the growing influx of pilgrims. In 1704, the Mercedarian Archbishop of Cagliari, Bernardo de Cariñena, initiated plans for a monumental temple adjacent to the medieval sanctuary.

The construction of this expansive Neoclassical basilica extended over two centuries due to political changes, financial interruptions, and logistical challenges. Designed with an imposing facade, a high dome, and a Latin-cross layout, the new structure was built to accommodate regional liturgical assemblies without demolishing the original Gothic sanctuary. The historic small church was preserved directly adjacent to the northern transept, serving as a distinct physical space where the original wooden sculpture remains enthroned for veneration.

The Votive Ship Models and the Bonaria Maritime Museum

Throughout the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries, sailors, naval commanders, and coastal populations deposited numerous ex-votos at the sanctuary following survival from shipwrecks, pirate raids, or severe storms. The complex now preserves one of the most substantial collections of historical maritime ex-votos and votive naval models in the Mediterranean basin.

These offerings include scale models of galleys, frigates, and merchant vessels constructed by craftsmen and crew members, alongside painted ex-voto tablets depicting maritime emergencies. The museum collection provides material evidence of how maritime lore, naval terminology, and vernacular religiosity converged around the image of our lady of bonaria, whose intercession was sought during navigation across western Mediterranean trade routes.

The Canonical Coronations and the 1907 Proclamation of Patronage

Papal recognition of the cult intensified during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. On 24 April 1870, Pope Pius IX authorised the canonical coronation of the statue to mark the fifth centenary of its traditional arrival in Cagliari. This solemn event consolidated the shrine’s standing beyond municipal limits, drawing ecclesiastical attention from across the Italian peninsula.

On 13 September 1907, Pope Saint Pius X officially proclaimed Our Lady of Bonaria as the Supreme Patroness of Sardinia (Patrona Massima della Sardegna). This decree formalised the diocesan status of the Virgin of Bonaria, elevating her feast day into the primary regional solemnity. Subsequently, on 5 March 1926, Pope Pius XI issued an apostolic constitution granting the newly completed adjacent church the canonical status of a minor basilica, confirming the institutional primacy of the complex.

Liturgical Celebrations and Vernacular Customs in Cagliari

The official liturgical feast of the patroness occurs annually on 24 April, an observance governed by the liturgical calendar of the Arcidiocesi di Cagliari. The solemnity gathers civil authorities, bishops of the Sardinian Episcopal Conference, and pilgrim groups from all historical regions of the island, who participate in Pontifical Masses and civic offerings.

Complementing the formal liturgical feast in April, an older vernacular maritime festival takes place on the first Sunday of July. Known locally as the Sagra di Bonaria, this summer observance features a maritime procession in which a secondary simulacrum is escorted out to sea by fishing vessels, tugboats, and private craft to bless the waters of the Gulf of Cagliari and cast a memorial wreath for sailors who perished at sea.

The 1970 Sixth-Centenary Pilgrimage of Pope Paul VI

On 24 April 1970, Pope Saint Paul VI made a pastoral visit to Cagliari to preside over the sixth centenary of the traditional arrival of the wooden effigy. The papal journey marked the first time a reigning Roman Pontiff visited the Bonaria sanctuary in modern history.

During the open-air celebration at the foot of the basilica steps, Paul VI addressed thousands of Sardinian faithful, dockworkers, and fishermen. The official registers documented through the Holy See archives record that the pontiff presented the image as a spiritual compass for the modern Mediterranean, emphasising both its historical Mercedarian roots and its deep social resonance among coastal workers during a period of rapid industrial and economic transformation in post-war Sardinia.

Pastoral Visits by John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and Francis

Subsequent pontiffs maintained the tradition of visiting the sanctuary during pastoral itineraries in Sardinia. Pope Saint John Paul II visited the shrine on 20 October 1985, addressing gatherings of youth, families, and religious communities within the basilica complex.

On 7 September 2008, Pope Benedict XVI made a pilgrimage to the site, celebrating Mass on the esplanade, performing a second canonical coronation of the statue, and conferring upon the shrine the Golden Rose (Rosa Aurea)—a papal decoration reserved for notable Marian sanctuaries. Five years later, on 22 September 2013, Pope Francis visited Cagliari, dedicating his pastoral reflection before the shrine to the shared historical bond between the Sardinian sanctuary and his native city of Buenos Aires, recalling how the sixteenth-century invocation of our lady of bonaria provided the Argentine capital with its historic name.

Sources and further reading

  • Padri Mercedari del Santuario di BonariaSantuario di Nostra Signora di Bonaria: Storia, Fede e Arte. Official institutional documentation covering the fourteenth-century conventual foundations, Mercedarian custody, and the iconographic history of the wooden effigy.
  • Arcidiocesi di CagliariSolennità della Beata Vergine Maria di Bonaria, patrona della Sardegna. Diocesan records, liturgical provisions for the April solemnities, and regional episcopal archives.
  • Conferenza Episcopale Italiana (BeWeB)Chiesa di Nostra Signora di Bonaria: Scheda Beni Architettonici. National ecclesiastical heritage index documenting the architectural evolution from the Catalan-Gothic church to the twentieth-century minor basilica.
  • Holy See / Dicastery for CommunicationPellegrinaggio di Paolo VI a Cagliari nel VI centenario della Madonna di Bonaria (1970). Pontifical homilies, discourses, and pastoral acts concerning the twentieth-century papal pilgrimages.
  • Comune di CagliariQuartiere Bonaria e origini storiche. Municipal historical archive records on the Aragonese siege of 1324–1326 and urban toponymy.
  • Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana TreccaniCagliari: Monumenti e Storia (1930). Academic survey detailing the medieval settlement of Buen Ayre and its toponymic link to the foundation of Buenos Aires.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the historical origin of the name Bonaria?

The Aragonese forces named the hill Bonaria, derived from Buen Ayre, in 1324 due to its healthy air and strategic elevation above coastal marshes. Pious tradition later associated the name with the favourable sea winds that carried the wooden crate to the shore in 1370.

Who has custodial oversight of the Bonaria sanctuary?

The sanctuary has been under the continuous pastoral custody of the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy, known as the Mercedarians, since King Alfonso IV of Aragon granted them the original church and conventual quarters in 1335.

How is the city of Buenos Aires connected to the sanctuary?

When Pedro de Mendoza established the settlement of Santa María del Buen Ayre on the Río de la Plata in 1536, he named it after the Marian devotion promoted by Mercedarians and Andalusian navigators, tracing directly to the Cagliari shrine.

When was Our Lady of Bonaria declared patroness of Sardinia?

Pope Saint Pius X officially declared Our Lady of Bonaria the Supreme Patroness of Sardinia on 13 September 1907. This followed an earlier canonical coronation granted by Pope Pius IX in 1870 on the fifth centenary of the image's traditional arrival.

What are the primary dates of celebration for the shrine?

The main liturgical solemnity is observed annually on 24 April across Sardinia. Additionally, a traditional maritime festival featuring a sea procession, known as the Sagra di Bonaria, is held in the Gulf of Cagliari on the first Sunday of July.

Which modern popes have visited the Bonaria sanctuary?

Four modern pontiffs have made pilgrimages to the sanctuary in Cagliari: Pope Saint Paul VI in 1970, Pope Saint John Paul II in 1985, Pope Benedict XVI in 2008, and Pope Francis in 2013.